When you wish upon a star . . . makes no difference who you are . . . anything your heart desires will come . . . to . . . you . . . I make a wish and do as dreamers do . . . and all our wishes . . . will . . . come . . . true . . .

Thursday 14 July 2011

So All Our Wishes WON'T Come True???

24th June 11.30pm US Time...


Mmm. So. Today.

Well, I’d better go ahead and spit it out. I didn’t get GMR. FML. I got Star Tours, the stupid Star Wars themed, boy ride. L

I’d better start at the beginning. I caught the bus at the crack of dawn this morning with Kylie in my smart business attire all hopeful. I had on one of my old Sixth Form skirts so it was black with a sheer, grey, silk blouse tucked in with my brown belt holding it at the waist like a paper-bag skirt, my brown brogues and a white t-shirt under the blouse to maintain some kind of dignity.

The bus journey was totally uneventful, but when we arrived at Hollywood Studios I found Jasper, Robert, Kathryn and Marianne so I knew we’d have a good time! A really sweet lady named Mary Virginia introduced herself to us and told us that she’d be our guide. Unfortunately, we were not allowed to take any photographs at all, even in the park as the park was not ‘show ready’ but the tour was amazing. It was just a case of looking at the hidden secrets behind the details to the park. I learnt loads of back-stories to why things are the way they are... For example, Sid Cahuenga’s One-of-a-Kind store is a shop selling various film and television memorabilia but it didn’t start out that way. Sid and his wife retired to Hollywood just before it became the Hollywood we know today. Once film makers began setting up their scenes and using shots of the landscape etc, they asked the old couple to move house as they really wanted the space. Sid and his wife refused but during all this, Sid had an idea. In the USA once you throw something out in the trash, it’s officially no longer yours. So when the film directors threw out their old props or costumes, he went to collect them in his car. Eventually, he figured he could make some money by selling the things he found from his Hollywood bungalow, and not the store stands in his honour. Of course, if you’re in on all things Disney, then you know that the entire story I just wrote out was complete and utter bull, invented by the Disney Imagineers in order to maintain the theme of the park and hence the show!

Anyways, we went around the entire park learning stories like this for a whole two hours. It was pretty hot out too so it was nice to roam the area without any guests there (yes, we started our tour at about 8am before the guests had arrived. Bare early.) When we finally made our way to the Great Movie Ride, I went out of my way to nose at the things the girl outside was doing. You know, for just-in-case. It turns out Mary Virginia works on GMR so I immediately wanted to pick her brain over it... whilst of course maintaining professionalism at all times.

We stopped at Take 5, the Cast canteen, for a fifteen minute snack. I had some ‘Garden Salsa’ flavoured potato chips. Seriously missing Walkers Prawn Cocktail crisps right now. Take 5 is pretty cool really. They have a great salad bar, hot food area, Subway sandwich stall and just basically loads of choices of things to eat.

We went back to a classroom and watched a couple of Disney Traditions-Style videos, all about Making Magic and what not before Mary Virginia left us with this other guy. He told us we’d be doing some E-learning and that we’d find out our actual locations at the end of the session, before out of nowhere he just gave us some pieces of paper with our location training schedules on. Idiot.

That’s when I thought, ‘This doesn’t say Great Movie Ride on it.’ No, chick. No, it doesn’t. It says Star Tours.

I was fine. I just worked through all the E-learning without thinking then very calmly took the guy to one side and asked him if my request had been received. He explained that he wasn’t sure, but that he knew Star Tours have recently had a bunch of staff leave for elsewhere in the company, and since it has been completely renovated, management expect they’ll need tons of staff and so I might have initially been held for GMR, Star Tours may have pulled me due to ‘company needs’. Still I was just like, ‘Oh, ok no problem, thank you.’

See how happy I look? NOT.

It wasn’t until after I’d finished the E-learning that it kind of hit me. I know NOTHING about Star Wars. I have no interest in it. How am I supposed to make ‘magical moments’ when I don’t even understand the concept myself? Also I was being really childish, but I just thought, ‘It’s a freaking boy ride. I’m never going to see any little girls.’ My eyes kind of stung with tears for a little bit as we were walking back to the bus stop, especially as we walked past Star Tours. Luckily, Kathryn and Marianne were gutted with being placed at Honey I Shrunk the Kids play ground, and you know what they say about misery loving company? We just whined to each other all the way back to Chatham.

When I got in I left a message for the Icon area manager, Scott, just quickly outlining my desire to be cross-trained for GMR if possible and jumped into bed for a nap. Everything is better after a nap.

So how do I feel about it all now? Well, I’ve realized I need to grow up, firstly. We don’t always get what we want right? Not to mention, I’ve been placed on a brand new attraction with a rather snazzy space-related uniform. It really won’t be that bad, I’m sure. Just because it’s not what I hoped for doesn’t mean it can’t be just as good. So, being the optimist I am, I’m going to grin and bear it.

Also, I’m so full of food. We went to Cici’s for dinner. It’s a pizza buffet over near Vista but we had to get a taxi from Vista even though we could have walked because the rain was absolutely pelting it down. I was so glad when Craig had a towel with him at the bus stop as I was actually a drowned rat in a denim playsuit. Kind of cute I reckon.

So I particularly liked the macaroni cheese flavoured pizza. It was all-you-can-eat PLUS a drink is only $4 with our Cast Member discount. That’s like £2.75 or something. Unreal. So naturally I ate until I felt sick and am now paying for it. Bleaughhhh.

Anyway, I have the weekend off before starting at my Star Tours training on Monday so by then I should be feeling much more positive about it. Just thought I would keep this blog as honest as possible. It is a bit like a diary after all!

Keep reading to see what happens next...

gabriellasofia

No comments:

Post a Comment