When you wish upon a star . . . makes no difference who you are . . . anything your heart desires will come . . . to . . . you . . . I make a wish and do as dreamers do . . . and all our wishes . . . will . . . come . . . true . . .

Sunday 26 June 2011

Day One Housing Orientation and House of Blues!

21st June 2011 – 2.30am US Time...

I am so exhausted and yet I really don’t feel in the mood to sleep! I guess I’ve got that excitement going on right now where I don’t want to miss anything, but I’m actually going to have to force myself to go to bed in a minute as I can hardly keep my eyes open right now...

So this morning we had to make our way over to The Commons (the living complex for all of the Cultural Representative participants like my friend Charlotte from home) to use their clubhouse for our housing orientation. Luckily, The Commons is only about a ten minute walk away from my place, so this meant that to be there at 8.30am we all met up at about 8.10am by security and headed over as a big group. On this first orientation thing we were allowed to wear whatever we wanted which was a relief as I hadn’t unpacked my smart clothes at this point! On our little yellow paper schedule for the next couple of days it advised us to bring along our Program Guide (given to us yesterday in the envelope), our passport with the I-94 stamped card inside, the dreaded DS-2019 form and our proof of medical insurance, although to be honest I don’t think we really needed any of that... The only time they came in handy was when I needed to fill out my social security form and I needed my passport number. We filled out and signed a few more things including our soul over to Disney; if we have an idea which could benefit the company, we are now legally obliged to share it and hand over the rights to it. Nice.

We had a variety of different presentations including a ‘welcome session’, Immigration Presentation, Housing Welcome etc. They gave us a massive run-down of the ‘rules’ which include no hazing or initiations, no weapons or threatening behaviour and NO ALCOHOL if you are under 21. It was all pretty obvious, but I guess it is good that they went through it all as one French boy was still confused despite the repetitions about the fact that if you are in a wellness apartment you really can’t drink... ‘But, what if it’s been a long day and I just want one?’ ‘Well, are you 21, sir?’ ‘No.’ ‘Then no, sir, that would not be allowed.’ Poor guy, everyone laughed so hard at him!

The immigration guy was particularly scary telling us how we shouldn’t pay to bail a friend out of jail or be involved with any drugs or under-age drinking as those mistakes could haunt us for life in border patrol.

After we’d finally finished at The Commons I realised that I was actually going to faint if I didn’t have something to eat and soon, so we headed to the Premium Outlets across the road from the complex to have a bit of a Food Court Feast. I chose Chinese and went with Sesame Chicken, Vegetable Spring Roll and Fried Rice which was lovely, but not as nice as I’ve had in the past in the Florida Mall... Will definitely have to compare.

In the meantime Emma was concerned about what to do as she’d been told that her roots were coming through too obviously to be part of the ‘Disney Look’ and that she would have to dye them... It is bizarre really because I think the colour in her hair is really quite natural. Anyway, she decided she’ll take her chances and leave it as it is.

Once we’d finished eating we headed back to Chatham as the buses were to arrive for us at 1.45pm to take us to Vista for our official housing check-in. When we arrived we handed over some paperwork, had our pictures taken and got given our housing ID’s which was great as it now means I won’t have to carry my passport and temporary yellow-paper-proof-of-residence everywhere with me. Having said that, my face has been squashed right down in the picture and I look a right chubby pig on it. Wounder.

At least I’m not the only one. Vikki obviously has the same problem with hers.

Once we were sorted over at Vista we headed back to Chatham and everyone kind of wandered off in separate directions. We’d agreed to do Downtown Disney tonight and go to T-REX ages ago on the facebook group, but we had a couple of hours to kill so I decided to come back to the flat and unpack properly, which was very grown-up of me as I could have just gone to sit around the pool. I rearranged our room a bit also as all the plug sockets were covered up by beds and bedside tables for some reason, but now they’re tons better. I even had time for a quick nap before showering, doing my face, choosing a dress and heading out with everyone.

By the time we got to Downtown Disney T-REX was packed. There were people queuing out of the doors so we decided to give it a miss. We split into smaller groups and everyone headed to different places. Some went to Rainforest Cafe, others to Earl of Sandwich, a couple even went to Pollo Campenero (which I hear was a big of a disappointment) whilst we headed to House of Blues. It was Johanna’s birthday so it was nice to do something special!

Whilst the servers sorted us a table for 13 people we sat at the bar. Glass-doors (Johanna), Jayne and Bethan celebrated with a cocktail, whilst me and Vikki went wild and savoured our Cokes with lime. Delicious. While we were waiting, a guy called Joe who I’ve never met before materialised and we invited him to join us. I think I’m really going to be good friends with him. He’s so funny. Gay though. Gutted.

Once we got seated I decided I would have the kiddie cheese burger which was about $8. I chose blue cheese and had a side of blue cheese dressing too. Vikki chose the adult version of what I had which I think was about $15 but a massive rip-off as when they arrived mine was only about two ounces lighter than hers with a few less fries and a smaller salad. PLUS I only ate half of mine and took the other half away in a doggie bag. Economical Gabbi For The Win!!!

Our waitress was lovely and she helped us all choose. She even put all our food on separate bills and wrote a little ‘Good Luck as new Disney Cast Members’ note on the bottom of each one. Attention to detail or what???

After we’d finished at House of Blues half of us came home whilst the other (over 21) half went over to Bongo’s for more cocktails. So jealous of them.

We waited for the bus in the completely wrong place so ended up missing it but eventually we managed to make it home. Vikki and Joe came back with me and Taryn for a bit and we exchanged some stories and just generally had a bit of a gossip!

They left about an hour ago and I’ve since had a shower and am pretty much ready for bed. Stupid internet still isn’t sorted even though me and Taryn bought a wireless router yesterday. It turns out we need a cord which they were supposed to provide us with when we moved in but it wasn’t here so we have to wait for someone to bring us a new one tomorrow. Will be nice to be able to check my facebook, Skype my family and of course upload these blogs! I’m supposed to be at Vista Way tomorrow by 1pm so I’d better go to sleep as I don’t want this lack of rest to catch up on me and accidentally sleep until the day after!

Thanks for reading and keep checking back J

gabriellasofia

ps. The weather has been amazing... can’t wait to get some tanning in tomorrow. Saw Kristian on the way to DTD and he said we could hang together at Vista Pool after our meetings tomorrow so I’m super excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment